[Simtec] [RISC OS Ltd ]
Simtec produced an number of development boards with ARM CPUs which include:
- EB7500ATX - an ATX motherboard based on the Cirrus Logic EP7500FE system-on-chip.
- EB110ATX - an ATX motherboard based on the Intel 21281 SA110 StrongARM, the 21285 support chip and Acer Labs M1543c south bridge
- EB675001DIP - a compact module containing an entire ARM system including SDRAM, Flash, user programmable CPLD, RTC, Serial, JTAG and numerous other features. It uses the OKI 675000 series MCU.
- EB2410ITX - a fully featured mini ITX motherboard, based around the Samsung 2410 System on a Chip.
The development boards are usually supplied with versions of Linux and BSD. See Simtec for more details. The EB7500ATX board was used in the RiscStation R7500 and by RISCOS Ltd as a test platform for Embedded RISC OS 4.06 (I don't know of other uses)
EB7500ATX and Embedded RISC OS 4.06
Here is the Hardware description from Simtec:
Standard features include:
- 56MHz1 EP7500FE
- Two 72 pin SIMM sockets for FPM or EDO memory2.
- Three ROM sockets supporting up to 6MB of Flash ROM. One 16Mbit (2MB) Device fitted as standard.
- SuperIO facilities such as parallel port, serial ports, floppy.
- Dual channel IDE
- Integrated video supporting resolutions up to 1600*1200
- Integrated 10BaseT Ethernet
- Integrated ESS audio codec supporting connections for Line in, Line Out, Mic, CDROM and AUX
- 16 bit ISA slot
- Real tiem clock
- I2C bus
1 56Mhz is the manufacturers highest specification on this part. In Simtec's experience these parts are reliable at 64 Mhz operation, this frequency may be requested when ordering.
2 EDO memory is recommended and may be run at 50, 60 or 70ns depending on parts used.
Here are some pictures of the EB7500ATX with embedded RISC OS 4.06 installed:
Simtec EB7500ATX board showing:
- ISA slot at bottom
- I/O ports on right with "Orpheus" sticker on the parallel port.
- Cirrus Logic CL PS7500FE56QC-C is the square chip in the center.
- RISC OS 4.06 ROMs are to the right.
- IDE and floppy connectors on the right edge.
- Power connector on the top left.
- 32MB EDO DIMM at center top.
Here is a HiRes picture of the Simtec EB7500ATX board .
Embedded RISC OS 4.06 start up messages
Embedded RISC OS 4.06 flash screen
Embedded RISC OS 4.06 desktop
Embedded RISC OS 4.06 About screen